Do you guys want to unlock bootloader, root or want to install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 6P mobile then you came right place. Here I am going to show you the most easy and step by step guides to installing official TWRP Recovery, Unlock Bootloader and Root Nexus 6P device. After that you guys can easily install any custom roms, install any root required apps or do some geeky things. So without wasting time lets get started.
We have devided these all process into 3 separate parts.
Below are the following different parts that we have separated so you would not face any difficulty during these process. You can skip if you have done one or both process.
- Unlocking bootloader
- Installing TWRP Recovery
Benefits of Rooting Nexus 6P
- You can install any custom ROMs and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance experience.
- You can block Ads in any apps with the help of ad blocker.
- After you root Nexus 6P and install TWRP on Nexus 6P, you can install Xposed Framework to customize your device or installing Google Assistant.
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- With TWRP recovery you can backup all of your files and apps with systems as it is.
- You can uninstall Pre-installed Apps.
Warnings of Rooting Nexus 6P
- Follow all steps correctly otherwise you will end up with a bricked phone.
- If your phone bricked by somehow we are not responsible for nay damage to your phone. Process at your own risk.
Some Important Keys before starting to root.
- Ensure that your phone has sufficient charge present in your device, At least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
- It will erase all your of mobile’s internal storage data, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
Files needed to Unlock Bootloader, Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P.
- Download USB drivers for your PC. Download Here.
- Download minimal ADB installer. Install this ADB tool.
- Download TWRP recovery Nexus 6P.
- Download SuperSu.zip for root access.
- Download Modified boot.img file.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus 6P
Step 1: Enable USB Debugging.
- First Enable USB debugging from Setting > Developer option > USB Debugging click to enable.
- If you are not be able to see Developer Options in setting you need to enable it first.
- To enable developer option go to Setting > About Phone > Tap to Build Number 7-8 Times.
Step 2: Run ADB command window.
- Now go to installation directory where you have installed the minimal ADB tool. By default it will install in C drive. Go to My Computer > Local Disk C > adb.
- Open the command window there by pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-click anywhere in that folder.
- Click to Open command window here.
Step 3: Connect your Phone & Reboot into Fasboot mode.
- Reboot your device into Fastboot mode by Volume Down and Power key of your Nexus 6P phone.
- Now connect your nexus phone to PC with USB cable.
Step 4: Check your Nexus 6P is detected or not.
- Check if your Nexus 6P is connected into adb fastboot command by entering the below mentioned command in the command window.
Step 5: Flash to Unlock Bootloader
- Once your device is detected on your PC you can start to unlocking process.
- To unlock the bootloader enter the below mentioned command. Note: This will erase all user data from the device!.
fastboot flashing unlock
This will start the flashing process on your phone. Once it done you will see a confirmation message on the screen of your smartphone. Scroll by Volume Keys and use the Power Key in order to confirm.
Step 6: After Done Unlocking Bootloader
- After the flashing process is done, enter the below command to boot your Nexus in normal mode.
Your Nexus 6P will boot in normal mode with bootloader unlocked. Now you are ready to flash custom recoveries and get root access on your smartphone.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Nexus 6P
Important Notes: If you are not opened ADB tool or not enabled USB debugging then please follow the all 4 Steps that I have posted inside Unlock Bootloader guide. Follow all of 4 steps then you can go ahead with the bellow steps.
Step 1: Copy TWRP recovery & boot.img file.
- Copy TWRP recovery file and place it into adb folder that is located in C drive.
- Rename your TWRP recovery img into recovery.img for e.g if your file name is
- Copy boot.img file which you have downloaded and place this file too into adb folder.
Step 2: Flash the boot.img file.
- Open the command window by pressing “Shift Key” and right clicking in the adb folder, if you haven’t opened it already.
- Type the below command and hit enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 3: Flash the recovery.img (TWRP recovery) file.
- Its time to flash TWRP recovery file.
- Make sure you have renamed the file into
- Type the below command and hit enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
After done flashing the
recovery.img Use the volume keys to scroll and power key to select the Reboot Bootloader option.
Press Power Button and Volume Down Key for few seconds to go back bootloader. Now you can use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to boot into your newly flashed recovery. It’s now safe to disconnect your usb cable.
Rooting Nexus 6P
Step 1: Boot Into TWRP Recovery.
- To go to TWRP recovery mode if you are not there. Press Power button and Volume Down Key for few seconds.
- Select the recovery option by press Volume Key Up and Volume Key Down.
Step 2: Flash SuperSu.Zip file.
- If you are asked to select language. Then select the language and click to Never show this screen on boot again.
- Now Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” (If you want to mount internal storage).
- Tap to Install button.
- Now find the SuperSu.Zip file where you have copied it.
- Tap to the SuperSu.zip file.
- Swipe to confirm Flash.
- Its done!.
Once you’ve installed SuperSU Wipe the cache/dalvik, hit the back button, and hit the reboot system button. That’s it.
We are done with installing SuperSu file on Nexus 6P. Now your phone is rooted you can check if your device is rooted or not by going to Play Store. Download Root Checker app and open it. It will show you green mark and say your phone is rooted.